On May 31, 2019, an employee shot and killed 12 people in and around Building 2 on the Municipal Center campus. Five others were wounded, four critically.
This page contains official reports, documents, presentations and other material related to the criminal and independent investigations into that tragic crime.
Final Investigation Summary Report
The Virginia Beach Police Department issued its final investigation summary report in March 2021. A copy is available for the public to review.
Answers to frequently asked questions regarding the Federal Bureau of Investigation's role in the criminal investigation of the shooting at the Virginia Beach Municipal Center on May 31, 2019.Read the FAQs
The Virginia Beach Police Department provided an interim report to City Council on April 24, 2020, outlining the progress made in the investigation of the May 31 tragedy.View the interim report
The executive summary provides a brief overview of the findings of the independent investigation conducted by Hillard Heintze and was presented to City Council on Nov. 13, 2019. A copy is available for the public to review.View the executive summary
- Commonwealth's Attorney Decision re: Officer Involved Shooting - May 14, 2021
- VBPD Interim Investigative Executive Summary - April 24, 2020
- Response to Independent Investigation Report - March 3, 2020
- Hillard Heintze Final Report - Nov. 13, 2019
- Hillard Heintze Executive Summary - Nov. 13, 2019
- VBPD Building 2 Investigative Update - Sept. 23, 2019
Freedom of Information Act Requests
- Shooter's resignation email and response
- Shooter’s Internet search history
- Shooter’s city vehicle travel log
- 911 Calls for Service Records from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. on May 31, 2019
For other publicly available information related to this investigation, please visit the Freedom of Information Center's FOIA Records Archive and search “May 31” to view a list of related documents.